Monday, May 28, 2012
Get Organized to Sell Your Home
1. Ask a friend to help you de-clutter. You're probably so used to your clutter that you don't see it anymore. Ask an objective friend to help you pack up anything cluttering your home.
2. Clear off countertops in the kitchen. Think model home sparseness. Display only a couple of decorative items or a plant. Hide the trash can in a cabinet. Clean off the refrigerator.
3. Remove all photographs. Buyers want to imagine living in your house. That's hard to do with a wall filled with Aunt Martha and Little Johnny.
4. Clean out your closets. Make them look spacious even if you have to pack most of your clothing and store it elsewhere.
5. Depersonalize your bathroom(s). No matter how cute your toothbrush holder is, seeing someone's personal items is a turnoff. Put them in a container and hide it under the sink.
6. Pack knicknacks. Buyers want to dream of their collections filling the rooms, not yours.
7. Rearrange furniture to open up the space. Remove most items from bookshelves to visually expand the space.
8. De-clutter your yard. Remove toys, empty flower pots, and anything that does not enhance your curb appeal.