How Best Buy Blew the Chance to Out-Apple Apple by Robin Lewis What in the world was Best Buy thinking when they discontinued their Super D and Escape small store concepts several years ago? Designed as neighborhood boutiques, with Studio D for 30-45 year old soccer moms and other more tech-challenged consumers, and Escape for younger tech-savvy consumers, the strategy was to customize these stores for specific niche demographics and lifestyles. And had they continued, they would likely have expanded across a multitude of niches. Each was designed and imaged differently, with customized merchandising and service strategies, and all were highly educational and experiential. Am I missing something here, folks? I don’t think so. In fact, while making my public speaking rounds during those years, I declared Best Buy the poster child of brilliant preemptive distribution, localization and customized experiences (as I continue to preach from my co-authored boo...
Comments
Post a Comment